I would never have believed it, but tonight I had silver salmon from Alaska (no really, my stepfather caught it), and I actually liked it! I have long wished I would be able to eat salmon without nearly gagging on the overpowering fish flavor, but I didn't actually think I would ever get to that point. The saddest part about finally experiencing great tasting salmon is that it will likely not happen again.
The salmon that's widely available nearby is pink salmon, and while there are claims that it's Alaskan, it pales incredibly in comparison to the amazing dinner I had tonight. Doesn't even come close to tasting as good. I'm somewhat discerning about the food I eat, for many reasons, not the least of which is enjoyment of flavor.
I think I've often overlooked a food based on a previously negative experience with it. The saddest part is that I might well have missed out on some of the best tasting dishes I will ever come across. After tonight, I'm more conscious than ever that an open mind is a valuable thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment