Thursday, November 13, 2014

What Motivates You?

Exercise and I have a love-hate relationship. Once I've gotten into a routine, I look forward to it. Getting started, on the other hand, is a different story. It takes lots of determination to actually get to the point of having a routine.

Most mornings my Inner Brat would sleep as long as possible if I let her. Getting out of bed and actually putting my feet on the floor, requires far more effort than it should, and it's like that all too often. I've always liked sleep; never been much of a morning person. Of course, for me, there is a short window of optimum exercise opportunity. If it doesn't happen within two to three hours of waking up, it won't happen at all.

Sure, later in the day I'm more awake; settled into the flow of things. The problem is, I'm too into the flow of things to redirect that energy into exercise. No matter what the activity, I have the most motivation and focus for exercise when I first get up.

All I need to do is establish a routine, and then I'm good to go for the long haul. I look forward to the aches and soreness, so that part has never been a deterrent for me. It's actually that aspect that enables me to push myself into a routine. The pain is all the motivation I need to keep going; I know I'm headed in the right direction when climbing stairs or raising my hands over my head gets me to wince. Something that might normally be seen as a negative, is actually the exact positive energy I need to commit to staying fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment