Thursday, November 27, 2014

Every Ounce Of Me Is Thankful; For All I Have, And The Ability To Share It

In a way, it's easy for me to be happy; to find the silver lining in the world around me. I have people in my life who are never very far away, whether it is in physical proximity, or just via a phone call. It isn't as though I am unaware that not everyone has that life advantage. I just find that if I were to focus on what others don't have, I'd feel an overwhelming sense of guilt about the fact that I do. I'm a caring and empathetic person, but I have to work hard at maintaining a balance. I can't lose sight of the value of family and friends, no matter how torn I feel knowing others aren't as fortunate.

There are certainly many benefits to being aware of the world around you, but there are some pitfalls as well. Without a doubt, extending kindness makes the world a better place, and adds something to life that is impossible to experience by any other means. Compassion and a giving nature are traits that I am surrounded by; so much so that nearly everyone in my life perpetuates an ongoing cycle of sharing and caring, that I wish everyone had the opportunity to be part of.

After a life time of celebrating with loved ones, and watching my mom and step-dad open their home to extended family and friends who are without a place to be during the holidays, I'm thinking it is time for me to do more. I have never wanted for anything, most especially quality time and interaction with those I love. More than donating money and food, which I absolutely advocate any time of year, it's time to be present...really be present, and spend time with those who are away from family, or don't have the close-knit support system I am so thankful to have.

I have been contemplating what 2015 holds, and what it is that I can do to make life better in the world around me. Striking the right balance between being present in my life, owning my happiness, and being mindfully aware and active in that of the people around me. I know how to embrace happiness, and it is time to periodically step outside of my thoughts and concerns, to be actively focused on that of someone else.

As I get ready to spend the day in the warmth and love of family, I hold those who are away from their own families, those who are going through trying times, and those who are unable to celebrate this holiday in my thoughts. Were it possible, I'd spend the hours with each and everyone of you, but know that my heart holds you all close, in the best of spirits. I won't ever lose sight of what I have, and I will celebrate that by finding a way to share a little of it with others, each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment