Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Deadlines, Meetings, Voting, And Yes, I'm Having A Second Glass Of Wine

I've heard myself moan and groan about running Harry Caray between work and my to-do list the past couple of days, and I'm less than impressed by it. There are many things that I could say about being this busy, but complaining and whining really shouldn't be any of them. I am gainfully employed, the work is challenging, and I get to work from home. So really, what is there to lament about?

Being idle has never actually suited me. I get antsy if I'm bored for too long. Having something to do; particularly something involved, is when I feel like I'm productive. After years of tending to my sons', it is great to know that I've been able to segue, with very few hiccups, into a career that will keep me equally occupied.

Sure, at the end of the night I might not want to immediate move from whatever document I was working on to writing a blog post, but really when it comes to being able to stretch my mind out and write about what I want, it doesn't seem like an impossible task. It almost doesn't seem like a 'task' at all. No matter how brain fried I feel, this part comes far easier than I might have expected it would.

Between jobs, meetings, and errands, I managed to vote today. Typically, I go to the polls first thing in the morning, but the day took off before I could head in that direction, so I had to wait until tonight. My initial expectation was that my voting place would be swamped and I'd be standing in line for longer than I wanted; thankfully the lines moved swiftly. I filled in my ovals, fed my ballots to the machine, and was picking up pizza to bring home in under a half hour. Without a doubt, I walked through my door relieved, happy, and accomplished. Not to mention proudly wearing my 'I voted' sticker.

As crazy as my day started out, I am content to know that I got most everything I'd set out to do done. And well, I might add. My head might be stuck in a vortex of new information, but learning new things is always a plus. And hey, no matter how stressed I might get with deadlines, at least I don't have to work in a newsroom on election night.

No comments:

Post a Comment