Monday, November 10, 2014

Strip Away The Politics, The Crime, And The Bullshit...There's Real Life There Somewhere

It's relatively easy to jump to the conclusion, after seeing numerous clips and videos online about unthinkable acts, and disgusting admissions of deceit and manipulation, that this country is awful. In truth, much about it is. Sight of what our society should be has been lost, or twisted to the point that it is unrecognizable as the vision our forefathers once had for this land. Of course, I suppose that forcing ourselves upon this soil, forging a new life while blatantly trouncing on that of others bears a price we all must pay.

Still, as quickly as I'd like to form an overall negative opinion based on the vast majority of things I am exposed to on a daily basis, I simply cannot. Before I have time to finish the thought that we are deserving of all the turmoil, I remember that there are people that make the world, not just America, a better place. That there are many redeeming qualities of life here, that I just couldn't enjoy somewhere else.

Much of what happened over two centuries ago was unnecessary and cruel; both in how we came to be here, and how we went about it. I can't do anything to change the past; it is what it is. I can learn from what has occurred, and I choose to take the path less traveled by recognizing the best action is to celebrate the good. When we focus on what is right, on what works, we increase the occurrence of similar things.

This life is not perfect; it has many qualities that alone suggest it should cease to be. Among the shit and shinola, easily missed if you allow yourself to be distracted, is the hope and reason we are always looking to tomorrow. There is good around us; so many worthwhile nuggets of proof that all is not lost. The road to respectable, effective, and relatively whole is long. The only sure way to keep us on it, making progress, is to hold all the positive light we see close and keep it from fading away.

No matter what else, I won't ever let the negative around me gain ground and win.

No comments:

Post a Comment