Thursday, October 30, 2014

Such A Circus

I am not a fan of political anything. So, on my drives to and from the salon today, I was less than impressed by the inconvenience of backed up traffic, and a ton of rubbernecking by other motorists as we all passed cop after cop. Streets line with squad cars in at least four towns/cities, all standing at attention for the president's arrival. One might think I would find some excitement in having the president in my town, but that'd be a big no.

Any time a president comes to Maine, it just disrupts the overall flow of life here. Finding out that Obama was in town to 'stump' for Mike Michaud...well, that just made me irritable. While in office, I'm of the opinion that no president should stump for another politician. Of course, I'm also of the opinion that political campaigns in general are far too varied in backing to give every candidate a fair shot at any seat.

The bright spot of my day is that, aside from traffic, I did not have to endure any political hubbub. Well, aside from the visual assault that's been happening along roadsides and street corners since September in the form of signage. An eyesore to be sure, but I am happily counting the days until life returns to 'normal' and I don't have to be bombarded with names, 'vote yes', 'vote no', or have obnoxious phone calls wanting to ask 15 quick questions about my political choices. There is an end to the mayhem in sight, and that's something to smile about.

No comments:

Post a Comment