Do what makes you happy. If you aren't hurting anyone, what you choose to do shouldn't require an explanation. Living your life the way you want is the best way to build and maintain confidence and purpose within yourself, and shouldn't ever be something that requires an apology.
I am a giving and understanding person. Far from perfect, but I certainly try to live my life without trouncing all over anyone else in the process. I expect that most people would be capable of affording me the same space and consideration. Unfortunately, many people seem to labor under the impression that they are obliged to weigh in with their opinion, and then insist upon a course of action that has their stamp of approval. This girl doesn't play by those rules.
It has come to my attention that a likely reason for the inexplicable exits of some from my life, and the over-involvement of others in it may, in fact, be due to the same thing. I go through much of my life sure of who I am, and I do not feel the need to expand or explain it to anyone. Those who walk away may well be unable to rectify their desire to do the same and their inability to own who they are; this saddens me, but if I am to stay on the happy path of positivity, I'm better off without that energy around me. For those who remain close, yet seem incapable of respecting boundaries, I'm inclined to believe that this same unapologetic, I am who I am way of living has called their attention to something they feel they lack. Rather than address that issue within themselves, and strive to bring about more positive energy, they attempt to insert the overall theme that I should be less me, and more everyone else.
Well, I won't do it. If being around me doesn't bring you happiness, laughter and memorable experiences - with me exactly as I am then by all means seek out a road that no longer intersects with mine. We are all here, living life, hopefully in the pursuit of being happy as often as possible. Should we cross paths with people who seem to create hurdles or stunt our growth, we are responsible for how we choose to move forward. I will fight for the relationships that I believe enrich my life, making it possible for me to be the person I am, but I have also learned when to let go of those that inject negativity; or at the very least am capable of buffering the ill-effects they might have.
I am eternally grateful for the many souls who accept and celebrate me as I am, and who welcome me to be a part of their lives and celebrate who they are. While there is always an initial sting when people walk away, or expect changes they have no right to expect, it's empowering and comforting to be able to stop those thoughts and emotions before they ever take root. I won't dig for fault with who I am when I've spent years making the hard changes that have made me a better version of me, just because some people are too weak and afraid to do that same hard work within themselves.
I like who I am. I enjoy the way I live. And I will continue to seek out the type of experiences that feed my soul, and foster the best parts of who I am. Shouldn't everyone?
No comments:
Post a Comment