Sunday, November 23, 2014

Don't Rush Through

Time passes by at a constant pace, whether we realize it or not. Certainly there are days that seem to drag on forever, and years that seem to have come to their end when it feels as though they've just begun. We volley between counting the minutes, to digging our heels in and trying to slow the progression. There is both too much time that it is agonizing, and far too little that should we blink, we miss what can never be retrieved.

Whenever I face busy days, I have to remind myself to find moments to slow everything down, in order to take some of it all in. Without being able to focus and experience things, life would be one big blur, that's meaning got lost somewhere along the way. I don't want my memories to be scattered and few; I want to be able to relive the story of my life when I recall the years.

The last week was what I would classify as packed full of experiences. There is a fine balance to being able to move fluidly through the hours and days, and being present enough to remember a conversation, a smile, or an act of kindness that could change your life. As easy as it is to get caught up in the pace we keep, we should try to walk occasionally, instead of running. Let the moments that define who we are and what we think surround us and sink in. Without memorable moments and active enjoyment of our time, how could we possibly ever know happiness, or a happy life?

No comments:

Post a Comment