Monday, November 3, 2014

Huh, Amazing What Runs Through My Head

For the past two hours, I've avoided writing tonight's post. I've been writing all day, and it's the last thing I've wanted to do tonight. Of course, I'm a writer, so writing is really what I do.

My son is watching South Park (hey, I choose not to fight that battle), and all I can hear is Jon Lovitz. I mean, where the hell did that come from? When was the last time anyone even heard of Jon Lovitz? Curiosity got the better of me and I looked him up on IMDb. Turns out this guy has been way more active acting over the past decade than I could have imagined.

Not only has he been in several TV shows and movies, I clearly haven't watched much comedy since the 90s. Granted, a lot of the things he's done as of late have been voice roles, but that's quite a distinguishable voice. The funny thing is, the voice I heard that instantly made me think of him, wasn't him at all.

I have no idea how suddenly being reminded of this comedian relates to my life; maybe it doesn't at all. I did scroll through the list of credits, and laughed a bit as I read earlier titles that I remember seeing. Some of those movies and TV shows were a good dose of funny back in the day. I mean, I've seen The Wedding Singer countless times (and I still love it), Married with Children was always a fave, not to mention Big, and who didn't love The Brave Toaster!

Sometimes I think quick, passing judgment even more quickly, without really giving adequate consideration to things and people I should. My immediate thought after being reminded of Lovitz was 'eh, I never like his acting much', but I think actually what I was reacting to was my irritation with stupid humor. South Park, for instance. I wouldn't say that I love Lovitz work, but he always made me laugh, and he's still around. Still around, and working.

Just because I thought I couldn't muster the energy and thought to write tonight, it's likely I was just allowing my exhaustion from work make me forget that I love writing. Somehow, for just a moment, I wrote off writing for me. If I can recall that Lovitz did actually make me laugh, then I should be able to remember that I love to write, and it isn't always work that's exhausting.

No comments:

Post a Comment