I saw my 90 yr-old client, Lucy for the last time today. She's alive and well, just moving to a full-care facility in Massachusetts to be closer to her three other children. Without question I will miss seeing her for our twice a month visits.
Dementia is a tough disease. While she would frequently becomes confused and frustrated with herself and surroundings, it was wholly understandable from the perspective of someone who still has command of their mind. Just imagine how irritating it is when you can't remember why you walked into a room. I can't fathom that on a much larger, more constant scale.
I didn't say 'goodbye', at least not to her. She has next to no recollection of the moment I walked in, let alone that she will soon be moving. Her daughter and son-in-law have explained it all to her, and remind her every now and again, but they understand that she won't benefit as most of us do from adequate preparation.
Lucy won't remember me, and likely any thought of me immediately vacated her consciousness the moment I closed the door behind me as I left today. I'm okay with that. We enjoyed a number of conversations, and a whole lot of laughter over the course of the nearly two years I've been her hair stylist. I got a glimpse into her world twice a month, and gifted with stories I won't soon forget, as she shared them with me more than once.
I will miss her daughter and son-in-law, though I may well run into them from time to time. My life is fuller for having known these people. I am a better person; a more patient and understanding soul. Thank you, Lucy.
No comments:
Post a Comment