Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Sometimes Follow-Through Sucks

It isn't easy making a tough decision and then actually having to follow through with it. Occasionally, it's so clear cut and understood that taking the step necessary happens without much hemming and hawing. Of course, more often than not, it takes determination, not to mention courage. The strength to do what may be uncomfortable, disheartening, and painful.

Being a parent, I've had loads of experience with this type of thing. Having to draw a line, or set boundaries that are not to be crossed, might be almost knee-jerk when your patience is being tried, but this is not something to be taken on lightly. There has to be follow through, and of course, there has to be balance in the expectation related to the behavior. All too often we parents say things we don't mean, or have no thought process for seeing it through when we are exhausted and at our wit's end. I learned quickly that what I said in the heat of the moment, really had to be enforced.

If I had made a habit out of handing out empty threats and promises, my sons wouldn't have trusted much of what I said to them. Sometimes, handing out a punishment, when their actions had consequences they had to learn from, was hard. Many times it meant I was also having to keep the other child and myself from enjoying something. The tears, pleas and sad faces pull at your heart strings, and as much as you'd like to just give in 'this one time', there are no benefits to that kind of recanting.

Recently, I've repeated the same plan of action...end game, if you will where our kitten is concerned. I have continually allowed my own feelings of guilt and sadness to keep me from taking the action I know deep down I have to take. He has behavioral issues that absolutely nothing has curbed. It took no time at all to become attached to this adorable guy, but we have exhausted the resources for trying to rid him of this issue. Difficult as it is, I have to follow through.

No comments:

Post a Comment