Monday, November 24, 2014

I May Look Silly, But It's All Good If It Made You Laugh

Every so often, something will happen that sends me into a laughing jag that reduces me to unstoppable giggles, with tears streaming down my face. I am fully aware of the spectacle that I am when this happens, yet even that isn't enough to subdue the laughter. I don't exactly hate this type of occurrence, however.

Tonight, it was my son's reaction to dinner that set the giggles and tears in motion. At first it was just a little funny, but before I knew it, I couldn't stop. His reaction to my uncontrollable laughter only made it worse. I'm sure had anyone caught a glimpse of me through the kitchen window, they might have thought I was two shades beyond tipsy. In reality, I'd had one, single, solitary sip of wine.

The opportunity to laugh uncontrollably is something that should be taken advantage of whenever possible. Certainly in the middle of a meeting, funeral, wedding, or lecture it is best to avoid, but there are many other moments when there's no better time. I am more mindful of the benefit of laughing now then I was when I was younger. No longer preoccupied with appearances, if something sends me into a giggle fit I go with it; like all in.

While the moment has passed, just thinking about it makes me smirk. There really isn't a time when I could imagine not benefitting from that humorous release. A good laugh; it's all that stands between us and taking life far too serious. That's one life 'hurdle' I have no plans of removing.


No comments:

Post a Comment