The first half of the day has been exceptional. Nothing overly spectacular, but exceptional just the same. When you just live each moment without jumping too far ahead of yourself, it is far easier to appreciate the good that transpires around you.
I am not concerned with what I'm not doing at this moment, nor I am concerned with what I will be doing in the next. I spent genuinely great time with my youngest son, and I might not remember the specific play-by-plays a year or two from now, but the happy moments count will forever have this day in its tally. Though I wish I had discovered this type of freedom and happiness years ago, I won't waste but a second with regret.
My oldest son is well on his way to living his own life, on his own terms. Rather than lament that he has missed out on time I'd like to spend with him, I have reminded myself a) what it is like to be 19, and b) that if he is happy spending his time his way, that's all that matters. I don't have to be the center of either of my sons' worlds in order to experience happiness. Just knowing that they are embracing their own ownership over happiness is all the involvement I need.
If a person is adept at accepting happiness in many forms, than they are far more likely to place value on the things in life that will continue to bring them opportunities to be happy. It is not enough that my sons have a roof over their heads, food on the table, and clothes on their backs. They need to be able to recognize the happy in all of those things without concerted effort for me to believe I have done right by them as a parent. If who they each are at the moment is any indication of my efforts, I'd say I haven't done half bad.
There is always room for improvement, just as their is always positive and negative to every situation. Being able to make changes and strive for better is good, but only if I'm able to find happiness along the way. Everything from the monumental to the simplest of experiences have given me all I need to do just that. I'm addicted to finding and owning the happy, and I wouldn't ever want any of that to change.
No comments:
Post a Comment