Tuesday, October 28, 2014

It's Not About Me, And That's Okay

Being able to have a productive and thoughtful exchange with someone who may not be at their most balanced inwardly may seem impossible sometimes. We all fall prey to overwhelming and emotional spikes that situations in our lives can thrust us into. Amazingly, the anchors that keep us from going off on a tangent that will just further our dismay, stress, or hysteria are those people who manage to keep from reacting as though the inward, yet outwardly visible, dance we are doing with ourselves has anything to do with them, because they know it doesn't.

Since I chose to focus more on my own thoughts and reactions; more specifically on the root of these things, I've discovered having conversations with people who are in that raw state isn't wholly difficult. The moment it might occur to me to counter with something other than neutral feedback, I bite my tongue, figure out why I feel the need to inject my emotions into something that has nothing to do with me, and then focus on the person before responding.

It's almost selfish that I benefit from being able to focus on someone else when they need it most. Of course keeping the continuity of positive energy is really beneficial to everyone. Why on earth would anyone not learn to adjust their focus and be that even, caring person when it's a win-win for everyone involved? Pretty sure I like winning more than I like being a know-it-all or being right.

No comments:

Post a Comment