I've gotten better at breaking the big picture into snapshots. There's nothing more overwhelming than seeing the enormity of a situation, when you can barely grasp a fraction of what it's all about. I find it's far easier to get through every aspect of something, if I don't focus on everything at once.
Surprisingly, being efficient and thorough is far more likely when I approach things this way. It took me years to be able to step back from the stressful position of seeing the big picture, but I managed to do it. Letting go of the worry that I won't succeed, or be able to accomplish all that needs to be done to reach that end goal has been the single most important act in experiencing a job well done. It's also the reason I can walk toward an uncertain future without the fear I was once filled with.
If I mess up, or don't get one aspect quite right the first time, it doesn't mean I'm doomed to fail. It means I still have to work on something, and that once I've managed to do better, or get it right, the end result will still be achievable. It really is all about focus and pace.
No comments:
Post a Comment