Sunday, October 26, 2014

Almost Game Time

Somedays I miss being a barfly. The commotion, the camaraderie...the cocktails :) Seriously though, there is just something about being alongside people you know, belly up to the bar, watching whatever game is playing on the flat screens. As corny as it sounds, Cheers theme song comes to mind as I think about all the awesome people I know I'd be surrounded by were I sitting on a barstool at Pedro's right now.

For me, it has little to do with consuming alcohol. A couple of gluten free beers, some nachos, and some of the most lively conversations make for a memorable afternoon. It's been quite some time since I wandered in for lunch or a quick bevvie, and immediately relaxed into whatever open seat I found. I love living where I do, but there's always the occasional pang of regret that I can't simply drive a mile or two up the road to see countless familiar faces.

Just under a half hour until the Patriots kick-off, and like the 2014-15 season so far, I'm watching from my living room. There are definitely benefits of being home. I can kick back on my couch, use the bathroom whenever I want without waiting in a line, and the drinks and munchies are exactly what I want. I can stay in pjs if I want, and should I need to, I get to pause live action and rejoin when I get back. I don't miss a play, because something raucously funny happens on my left. Of course, I do miss whatever crazy, amusing thing is likely to happen altogether.

I love watching the game uninterrupted, but sometimes it just seems better when I'm the barfly, sitting at the bar, singing Cheers' theme song in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment