My view of right and wrong, pertaining to the actions/inactions of others, might be best described as passionately specific. It isn't that I'm rigid, or unyielding in my beliefs; it's just that, given the life influences I've been exposed to, have created a fairly reliable gauge by which to consider these things. By no means are my opinions or positions on right and wrong the absolute gospel, but they have served me well in my endeavors to become a better person.
When I adjust my behaviors, or simply navigate the landscape of my life, it is impossible to avoid examining the actions/inactions of other people. Putting myself in the decision-making seat of any situation, can provide valuable insight, as well as provide opportunity to consider different possible outcomes based on different choices. Of course, there is a fine line between trying things on for size, and becoming judge and jury from a safe distance.
No matter how justified I think I may be, or how many people might share my opinion on an issue, I am not typically the person affected by the decisions made and unmade by someone else in their life. I can disagree, but knowing that that disagreement is based in my own personal values and beliefs, it isn't my place to condemn. Still, as I traverse the plains of morality, it is impossible to avoid accruing an index of do and don'ts that I've gleaned through watching, or being privy to the lives of others.
Sure, there are a myriad of things I would do differently, or not at all, were I to be faced with the same, or similar issues as the people around me. The outcomes and ways my life would be affected as a result, would also be different; at least slightly. In the end, isn't that what truly makes us individuals?
I am not any other person; I am me. What I choose to do when I am faced with a decisive moment, will certainly have different implications and results for someone else, should they choose the same in their own decisive moment. It is quite likely those differences won't be drastic, and will often be the point of commiserating or celebrating, but not every impact will be the same. While we may need that set of standards by which to act, socially, we would do well to remember that each and every person is living their own life. We cross paths, interact daily, and can be greatly involved in the lives of others, but we do not have claim on their life. This same idea works well when applied to envy; not to mention that if we grasp this concept well, we also learn to avoid the common pitfalls of owning misplaced blame.
Knowing your own life, its boundaries, how best to make decisions for that life, and where to draw the line when considering how others live their lives, ensures you the strength and ability to be confident, kind, and empathetic with yourself, as well as with others.
No comments:
Post a Comment