Grandparents. Those of us lucky to have them in our lives, hopefully get that they are an amazing gift. I was fortunate enough to have my maternal grandmother until I was 29, and life presented an opportunity to choose family when I was a teenager, which included a kooky and loving set of grandparents who are still in my life today.
At 86 years young, these two have provided more laughs than I will ever be able to recall. My sisters and I have long poked fun at each of them for their iconic French ways, which garners laughter every single time. They embrace their oddities, and still manage to act rather silly; a trait that no doubt has contributed to their happy longevity.
The years have brought memories that could fill hours of film reel. Nearly all of them would leave an onlooker confused, admittedly, I mean to know them is to love them - even though a majority of the things they find amusement in don't make sense to most of us. They dress up every anniversary, Memere in her original (though slightly altered) wedding gown, and Pepere in whatever silly get-up Memere comes up with. There have been ornaments and trinkets created from plastic sheets strung with yarn, knitted mittens and pishus (slippers), and Yankee swaps with random items from around the house or some dollar store finds, complete with handwritten sayings that are suppose to be hints as to what the wrapped items are. Years of great food and being overserved because my grandmother hears 'no thank you' as 'yes, please'. And then there are nonsensical moments like looking up while cutting their 'airs (hair) on the closed-in porch and seeing a hot pink, bedazzled bra with fake, fall leaves sticking out of it.
While I may not understand their amusement with some things, the fact that they are always laughing makes even the craziest moments worth treasuring. How ever long these two grace my life, I am all the richer for it. Bring on the bizarre, kooky moments, because life can never have enough of those!

No comments:
Post a Comment