Saturday, October 4, 2014

Some A Throw Down Is Necessary

I do not love when my sons fight. I am typically grateful that I am rarely home when it happens, and that very little damage (either to them or our belongings) occurs. Of course, I still don't like it.

It took a long time for me to not allow myself to get overly involved in their heated disputes. Really, it's still a challenge to resist sorting through their arguments for them. Nothing good would come of that sort of involvement, and they each need to figure out their limits. Not to mention learn to admit their shortcomings. They have to work each fight out with each other, and themselves.

The only way to change for the better, to get stronger and more in touch with the person you want to become, is to learn how to face the things about yourself that aren't the best. It isn't likely my sons would learn to become emotionally stable adults, capable of deciphering life's never ending barrage of challenges were they never allowed to work through their disagreements.

Tough as it might be to step aside and allow the boys to fight and figure their shit out, it's really the only way they stand a chance at gaining the tools and insight to mature and become who they are capable of being.

No comments:

Post a Comment