Sunday, October 12, 2014

Some People Prove They Can Stand Up Against Any Odds

I don't think I will ever be able to react to someone I love being handed far more than their share of hardship and heartache, without feeling the weight of their load. Whenever difficult times surround my friends and family, I want nothing more than to relieve them of their burdens. The depth of connection and love to someone can certainly be gauged by the anguish and heartbreak you feel for them in times of trouble and woe.

The blessings I've been bestowed in friendships is something I've celebrated time and again. Just like the elation of good times, I am privy to the pain of loss and disappointment of those close to me. Though I cannot take the pain away, and I am unable to prevent the effects of turmoil, I can be there to lean on, to talk to, and to get angry with them when they need it. 

One of my dear friends has had a pile of 'way too much' placed on her shoulders recently. By her admission it isn't the worst thing that could happen; still, on the heels of a traumatic year that no one should have to digest, this news just plain sucks. I admire the epic strength and resilience she possesses, even in the face of obnoxious shit luck. She is the type of person everyone I know should have in their life. When something goes wrong and I find it difficult to move past, she is certainly a motivating example of finding the silver lining in every day. She is going to be alright, despite unfortunate news about her health, and it won't be due to any treatment or medicinal regimen. Her front-row, season ticket to brighter side thinking is what will propel her through the coming years, soaking in the best of what she finds around her. I'm so incredibly lucky she's my friend. 

The thing about pain and suffering, disappointment and fear, is that when it isn't happening to me, but it's happening to someone I love, there isn't ever a moment when I ever wish I wasn't feeling the weight. It is an honor to be close enough to someone that that heaviness can be shared. The bonds that tie me to that person are far stronger and bear more meaning than I could ever adequately describe, because we have shared in the emotionally storms and not just in the happiest of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment