Monday, August 1, 2016

It Ain't Always Roses, Good Thing I Like Other Flowers, As Well

It's a new day and the possibility of good things is great. This is what I am repeating to myself this morning. No change is without adjustment and hiccup. How I choose to deal with those things determines how quickly I can move past them and onto other things. None of this mindset comes easy to me, as I am a recovering pessimist, but I refuse to revert to those old ways.

Last night I had a moment. Ok, it was more like a few hours. This move happened quickly and the normal considerations I give to such changes were abbreviated in the two-week process. Overall, I am happy with the decision to rent this house, but there are a few kinks to be worked out and those will take time. My patience meter is being tested, as is my optimism. It will all even out in time, this I know, though I will be diligently working to stay in the best mindset through the transition.

One would think that after having moved a number of times that I would have the adjustment period down to a science. True to my life, however, every experience is a new adventure. I rather prefer it this way overall, since the best lessons come when we are paying the fullest attention. If every big change were just par for the course, I'd likely be on autopilot, going through the motions without focus.

This space feels good. As I sit here on this couch that will be moved to another part of the living room later today, my sons still fast asleep in their own rooms (something they haven't had since I sold my house eight years ago), I already feel at home. There are boxes strewn about, I don't know the exact location of most of my possessions, but I have a good sense that once the unpacking is done, this space will foster more balance in each of our cores. I'm happy that, for the time being, my oldest has chosen to remain under the same roof as his brother and me, and I'm going to make the most of the next year with them both here.

I will miss my wonderful neighbors and while they can never be replaced, I get a good feeling from my new ones. There are many challenges and responsibilities ahead, and that just means more growth is possible. I've learned to love growth, as each time it occurs I find more about myself to love. I can think of no better way to experience the most happiness in life than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment