Monday, August 8, 2016

New Home, New Surroundings

I love how quiet it is here. Birds, crickets, and the occasional dog barking — I didn't expect to enjoy the change of location this much. It isn't that I thought I'd hate it, I've just been accustomed to living close enough to the hubbub to hear the traffic and all that goes with more urban areas. We aren't much further away, but the area is truly removed from most of the goings-on I have gotten used to.

Aging is definitely a factor in my ability to appreciate things outside of my typical preference. By no means am I saying I'd high-tail it to the wilderness and embrace nature. Not that I don't appreciate nature, I'm just someone who finds balance and comfort in active surroundings. It is quite likely that being aware that I am just a short drive from our small, Maine city has allowed me to embrace the more tranquil surroundings I now live in.

I miss my neighbors, however. We were a close-knit group that truly added quality to each other's days. My kitchen window once provided me a view that included faces I looked forward to seeing, now it looks out over the back lawn, nature trail, and marshes. While all incredibly amazing, I miss seeing familiar faces. I am okay with the fact that there will never be neighbors like those I had over the past three years. This is not to say I will never have neighbors I appreciate again, but my stoop group cohorts will always have a special place in my heart.

My goal for the next few weeks is to venture out around my new home. The more familiar I become with what is around me, the more quickly I free up energy and focus for other things. Adapting to the newness is demanding of both, and it has left me tired. There is only so much adjusting a person can do if they are doing it from a closed-off position. Hunkering down in the house has been great for unpacking and settling in, but the real adjustments won't happen until I step outside the front door.

It's time to take a good look around and see what living in Cape Elizabeth will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment