I often wondered what it would be like to just know where I stood with the person I was dating. What it would be like to feel supported, comforted and generally at ease in their presence. For far too long I found myself in relationships that were ultimately one-sided. I gave and gave, only to be denied in moments I truly needed someone there beside me. Over time, I developed a reaction of refusal to accept from anyone who might have tried to give me those things. So, in essence, I have been my own worst enemy in the relationship department.
Without a doubt, I am fiercely independent and would sooner struggle alone than admit (let alone accept) help. It is amazing to me now that I have realized this needs to change. Occasionally benefitting from the support of another person doesn't mean you have to give up your independence. Imagine that. Of course, it makes all the difference when the person you're involved with is genuine in their affection.
I'm happy that I can finally recognize and accept this kind of support and connection. Life is better with someone who is secure enough to be giving and open. It's a whole new experience when you are willing to accept it.
No comments:
Post a Comment