Saturday, August 20, 2016

More Things You Didn't Want To Know

I've been on the verge of being a miserable shit through this healing process. It's far slower than I'd like, though I'm certain I've progressed quite quickly by medical standards. Regardless, the little annoyances of this whole process are keeping me on my toes with regard to my demeanor.

Were it just the uncomfortability of it, I might just be able to shake it off. A minor side effect — completely of my own doing, has added another aspect to the healing time. In an effort to maximize comfort, I found that sitting in one or two positions to be the most tolerable. The problem is that when I am working, I don't switch positions or get up often. So, in addition to having been sliced into in one of the most sensitive areas of my body, I am now contending with a pressure ulcer. Fucking fantastic.

I'm relatively grateful that I am so in tune with my body because I may have failed to notice that this new issue wasn't part of the surgical area. This kind of wound is a bitch to care for and takes far longer to heal than most cuts. I had one after my foot surgery from the bandages. It took quite awhile to heal fully because of the location. It was next to impossible to keep anything from putting pressure on that area, especially since it was the highest point on the top of my foot and the ridiculous (but necessary boot) I had to wear pressed right against it. Once I was able to wear shoes again, I could minimize the contact and it healed faster.

At the moment, I'm taking care to sit in positions that put little to no pressure on this new ulcer. Of course keeping an eye on it is crucial, as these things can affect more tissue, causing more damage if left unchecked. While bed sores (as they are more commonly known) are often associated with the elderly and bedridden, the reality is that anyone can get them. I'm an active, thin individual whose diet changed drastically post surgery. Protein is essential in the healing process, as is hydration and proper resting position changeups.

In a perfect world, I wouldn't have to deal with this frustrating issue, but it's not a perfect world. Instead, I get to exercise my flexibility by bending over and examining my ass in a mirror on a regular basis. I had no desire to become so aware of the way that area looks, but necessity demands we do things we might otherwise avoid. Most of these moments are a source of comedic opportunity, of which I have taken full advantage of. The breakdown of skin is no laughing matter (particularly when it is your own), however, so I am not currently making use of the humor that might be derived here. Instead, I am focused on making certain this doesn't get worse, while also trying to maintain my usual upbeat persona.

So ends this installment of More Than You Ever Wanted To Know.

No comments:

Post a Comment