Wednesday, August 10, 2016

But You Just Got Here

Being able to spend time with people I care about but don't often see is always something I will drop almost everything to do. As it happens, I don't typically have so many plans that I can't make time, but even if I did, I'd find a way. Opportunities to see people I love who live away are scarce. It would be sad to miss such a window.

Despite the somber atmosphere that my cousins' latest visit encountered, we managed to spend a few hours together catching up. A quick visit this time around, they are already headed back to Texas today. I'm happy I was able to spend last night having dinner and introducing them to a few of the many Maine brewed beers.

It's amazing how, even after not seeing someone for quite some time, you can fall right back into step when you finally are in the same room again. I find that I wonder how these cousins and I would relate had we grown up together, instead of having come together when their uncle and my mother married. I imagine we'd be closer, but I think over the past 21 years we've developed a strong bond.

Someday I will make the trek in their direction and bring the connection we have full-circle. Seeing them in their environment, doing their everyday normal things with the people they see all the time has a way of adding more to the perception you have of another person. After over two decades, it really is time. Until that day, however, I will stay in touch, hold memories close and appreciate the gift each of them is in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment