Monday, August 29, 2016

Listen To What Others Have To Say

I have to say, I've never found myself in this position before. Typically, when I start dating someone, or rather when other people in my life finally meet them, they are subjected to comments and carefully stated words of warning about not hurting me. That has not happened this time. What has occurred is a seemingly similar string of interactions that have left me feeling like I'm the one who has been 'warned'. While it isn't anything close to a true warning or caution to do right by this man, I'm observant and intuitive enough to realize the gist of the words' meaning.

This man has the same type of relationships with friends that I have with my own. He has surrounded himself with genuine people who foster positive energy and truly invest themselves in the bonds they form with others. This is the kind of person that never understood I always wanted to find. I had no way of ever comprehending how important a person's many other relationships could possibly be when it came to starting a new one.

When there are no snide remarks, jokes or less than flattering comments made about a person from his friends; when every comment or statement in his absence just reinforces everything you already have come to know — there are no questions, no second-guessing. Decades of time and a long string of failed relationships couldn't have ever hinted to this, and as simple as it is, I'm only just figuring it out.

Being involved with a person who is respected and appreciated by those who care about him is like nothing I could ever adequately describe. It isn't as though his worth as a person is unknown without the true words of protective praise from friends, but there is something incredible about the unsolicited commentary that intensifies the light I was already drawn to. Having the same caliber of people in my own life, I value the honesty and appreciate the very real expressions that show just how cared for this man is.

I don't like to think just how close we were to not having started down this road. I'm glad I didn't miss out on getting to know him. I'm looking forward to going wherever this road may lead, and adding even more loyal, loving and genuine people to my life. I have no qualms proving myself and my intentions regarding this man because the result is well worth it. That, and I know I'm every bit the catch that he is ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment