Tomorrow may be a day off from work, and my one rest day in this workout routine, but I've got projects lined up around the house that I just can't put off any longer. There's that stuff, and the usual daily irritation of having to reassemble the look of our Christmas tree after Oliver's nightly free-for-all while we're sleeping. This kitten is keeping me on my toes.
The benefits of having moved to a condo half the square footage of our last apartment, for the most part, outweigh the drawbacks. Sure, it's literally HALF the space we were accustomed to, but that means less time is spent cleaning. That alone makes this place a win for me.
Aside from cutting my housekeeping commitment significantly, I have come to understand that less is more. We simplified our material/belonging collections, and nearly everything I consider buying now really needs to have multifaceted use. Storage and organization challenges are presenting me with the opportunity to think out of the box...literally. I've always needed a bit of work in regards to staying on top of organizing and tidying, and with moving to a larger place being out of the question (both boys absolutely refuse to move again while they are in school), a complete overhaul of our living space is in order.
In addition to having a sort of lackadaisical attitude toward maintaining a living environment that has an even flow to it, I tend to procrastinate. If I don't find what I want in terms of furniture, accents, and decor items, I forget to step back and approach whatever project I'm contemplating from a different angle. This week I decided that I was going about one particular project with far too much rigidity. And wouldn't you know, the moment I opened my mind to other possibilities, a surprisingly suitable solution presented itself. Not wasting time, I went out and purchased the supplies I needed, came home and prepped the area, so that I can dive in tomorrow.
Breaking free from habitual approaches has allowed me to make amazing progress in my surroundings. We've lived here a year now, and I've finally started doing the things I have been wanting to do since we moved in. All because I finally stopped trying to make changes without changing my outlook and approach. I rather prefer being open to possibilities; so much more can be gained by taking the blinders off.
No comments:
Post a Comment