Sunday, December 21, 2014

I Wouldn't Do That...Of Course, It Isn't My Choice To Make

I had a moment today that I had to stop my thoughts about something, and really consider that I was holding someone to unfair expectations. It is far too easy to judge, or speculate how you might handle a situation, but the reality is that most of us have quite different circumstances impacting our choices. Allowing myself to believe that someone should approach something the way I would is just not right.

If you look at someone's life, at least the parts you are privy to, with objective, impartial eyes, it is likely they are making the best decisions possible for them at that time. Having the benefit of a different life experience, we can certainly make fairly good guesses as to the steps we would take, but that still doesn't mean that is what another person should, or even can do. The line between being unaffected and understanding is fine.

Any day that I am reminded that we are all different people, with different stories is a good day. There is also immense benefit in being able to acknowledge that whomever you're tempted to judge, is actually doing a good job, or is making the right choice for them and their path. It's best to concern ourselves with continuing to better our own decisions, and becoming a better version of ourself every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment