Word hangups. Many of us have them. I abhor the word ...ugh... moist. Even writing it makes me cringe. I don't know why, I just hate it. It grosses me out, causing me to contort my face in disgust.
I overheard my youngest son telling a friend he hates the word suckle. Eh, it definitely is an odd word. I get it thought, hating the sound of a particular word. Like nails on a chalkboard for some people, the wrong words (or the right ones, depending on how you look at it) can change the entire tone of a conversation.
Over the years, those who know me well enough to be aware of my aversion to the m-word (as well as cunt, dink, slacks, and diarrhea), either thoughtfully avoid using it, or torture me by repeatedly peppering it into whatever we are talking about. No matter how far I've come with reducing my negative reactions to things, I fail miserably when that word is uttered. It is just so nasty sounding to me.
What I do think is great about this issue, in general, is we are often pressed to expand our vocabulary as a result of refusing to use the word we detest. While there might not be many other words that convey the exact idea/picture that loathsome option, there are more than enough that will suffice. If we can take something negative, like word aversion, and turn it into something positive, like a broader vocabulary, then that's all that really matters.
I happened to search 'word aversions' and this piece came up. I'd have to agree with the ick-factor of most of the words mentioned. I don't know why I don't like these words, or why they make me cringe, but clearly I am not alone. So, if having contempt for these words leads to having a more varied vocabulary, and being in good company, I'll live with the cringing.
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/the_good_word/2013/04/word_aversion_hate_moist_slacks_crevice_why_do_people_hate_words.html
No comments:
Post a Comment