Thursday, December 11, 2014

Feeling Good, Even When You Feel Like Shit

I can be quite a whiny pain when I'm ill. A simple headache, head cold, or exhaustion, and I'm fine. Full on aches, pains, and overwhelming blanket of ick, and I'm not all too pleasant.

Far too stubborn to give in and rest, I typically push through the day as I would healthy. The exception, however, is that I complain a little too often. No one wants to be sick, so I suppose I'm not altogether different from most people.

Here's the thing; now that I work from home, there really are no such thing as sick days. I mean, it was incredibly rare for me to call out of work before this job, but now I can't see allowing myself that option. I work at my own pace, but I've found that I get a lot done - even feeling awful. Of course, it is beyond rare that I get sick enough to be bedridden, so a headache, nausea, or an obscene number of visits to the loo hardly seem like roadblocks.

The past two days I've been home sick, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much work I managed to get done. Sometimes having to focus intently on something other than how crappy I feel, actually cuts down on the whining. Not to mention I don't feel irritable about taking time off and coming back to twice the work just as I'm feeling better.

I really don't like being sick, but when I can still manage a full workload, it doesn't seem like such a big thing. I almost feel better just knowing I'm ahead of where I thought I would be yesterday. Achieving something isn't any less gratifying when you're nauseous. Imagine that.

No comments:

Post a Comment