Monday, May 19, 2014

Thoughts Of A Mother

I hope that my sons grow to be happy, adjusted, loving men. My dream for each of their futures is for stability. I am already proud of who they have become, and I'm certain I will be overjoyed by who they will be one day.

When I push you in a specific direction, I'm showing you what really matters in the scheme of life. I remind you of things over and over again to show you the things that are worth valuing. As your mother, I want to look back at the years you were growing up and know that I gave you as many tools as I could for you to go out and make your way without me.

More than just being able to entertain in a tidy home, with a clean bathroom, I hope that you continue to be thoughtful, caring men. Should fatherhood fall upon you, I have faith you will give every ounce of yourself to the task. May you choose your life partners wisely, so that you understand each other and grow together.

Responsibility and motivation increase with age, at least that is how it should be. Throughout your lives I have held you accountable for your actions, because there is no better way to face mistakes than head on. As you start your lives away from home, I hope you remember this well. A person who can admit they are wrong, apologize, and move beyond their mistakes is far more likely to grow and rebuild/retain the trust others have in them. Even more important however, is the ability to forgive.

Don't lose sight of the choice to be happy in the frustrations that life presents. Continue to bring your own focus back to all you have. If you don't like the way things are going, try looking at them a different way. May the examples of hard work and dedication in your lives provide the framework from which you model your own careers, whatever they might be. You are the author of your story, believe that you can make it anything and everything you dream.

Never forget that no matter what, I will always be here for you. There is nothing I wouldn't do to help either of you in this life. Until the day I leave this world I will listen, comfort, champion, and celebrate right along side you both. All the runny noses, coughs, diapers, boo-boos, bad days, milestones, conversations, hugs, excursions, difficult times, hurts, triumphs, and hopeful expectations have created the family we are, and it will all continue to shape the family we become.


No comments:

Post a Comment