Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Now, Now And Then...

Ever hear a song and really hear the lyrics? I mean, when you hear a song you've heard a number of times...might even know it by heart, and all of the sudden the lyrics click in a way they never did before. That happened to me twice today.

I've listened and sung along with both songs more times than I could ever count, and something struck me today that hadn't ever crossed my mind, with both songs as I drove home from work.  I immediately thought of a particular person/situation as each of the songs played, and found myself slightly awed that I hadn't ever made those connections or interpreted the words in quite those ways before. Might seem odd, but I tend to think my current emotional upheaval has given me a different perspective or interpretation about a number of things the past couple of weeks.

There was more of an a-ha moment with one song than there was with the other (and what the songs were isn't really relevant). I actually had to play it back just to see if I would hear it in the same way twice. Not only did it strike me the same, but one part of the song in particular summed up everything about a once ongoing, not-in-my-best-interest interaction in a way I wish I had been able to see when that situation dissolved. Of course I may not have been receptive to that view had it presented itself at the time.

I am always amazed when I see things in a way I never have before, especially when it is due to the words of someone else. It always makes me wonder what on earth I was paying attention to when I missed the message the first fifty times I heard the song or someone I know say a particular saying or phrase. I'm fairly certain most of life's upheavals serve to encourage us to slow down and take stock in what really matters, move beyond the things and people who don't, and to remind us how precious our time here is. It's time I spent my days a bit more wisely.
                                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment