There are a number of things in any given day that amuse me. Some of them simply because they are funny, and others because they are somewhat incredulous. If nothing else, at the end of the day people are entertaining.
Given what I do for work, I am always amazed when someone outright lies to me about what has been done to their hair. Particularly when I am in the middle of a consultation with them regarding potential services. My reputation as a stylist and the integrity of my client's hair are the two most important factors of what I do, and they are exactly why I choose to hold consultations with anyone who sits in my chair contemplating changes.
The questions I ask serve a real purpose, so anyone who isn't honest about the history of the hair on their noggin is not likely to become a client of mine. Occasionally I may not cover all the bases, as there are a number of things that impact the elasticity and overall strength of hair. More often than not, however, people who want a service done that has either been refused elsewhere due to the condition or prior services of their hair, or they suspect a stylist may refuse, will omit key information in the hopes of getting their way.
When a person answering my verbal Q&A portion of a consultation tells me they have had no color treatment, yet their hair has every visible and tactile sign that it does, I often wonder exactly what they think hair stylists do. It is my job to understand hair. The end result of a hair service is advertisement for any stylist, and my preference is that it be reputable. Lie to me and I will not call you a liar, but I will refuse to do any chemical services without full disclosure.
I turned away a woman today, after a brief discussion about her hair. She had wanted a perm, and aside from the fact that I loathe that service and find it wholly outdated, this near 70 yr-old actually thought I would believe she had never colored her hair (there is NO natural color in that shade of brassy dear lady). I did not argue what I could see quite plainly was a false claim, I moved to the fact that her hair was simply too compromised, in my professional opinion, to withstand any additional chemical services. She did not like the answers or suggestions I gave her, but her disappointment is not my issue. Sadly, she will likely continue to perform at home hair doctoring, making the condition of her hair far worse.
If there was one thing I could impart on anyone seeing a stylist for the first time (or anytime really) it would be to give full disclosure. We do not ask the questions we do so that we can laugh at your answers, or poke fun at your mistakes; we want to make sure that the chances a service, which can compromise the hair's integrity, are as slim as possible. The stylist-client relationship isn't that of the bride-bridesmaid; we don't want you to leave looking hideous in something that does not fit or flatter you. You come to a professional because you know they are knowledgable and talented enough to create a look you will look great in, so don't sabotage the outcome by withholding or lying. Because just like your fried and fragile hair will be, those acts are just plain ugly.
No comments:
Post a Comment