Sunday, May 25, 2014

Such An Impact, I'd Never Have Guessed

The past two days have been full of hugs. I'm a hugger by nature; well, actually I just grew up in a family that hugs...a lot. All hugs are good, but some have a bigger impact than others.

The energy that is passed from person to person, or generated during a hug can be intense. Depending on the situation, a hug can also convey what each person is thinking, feeling, or needing at that moment. By far, the hug is a universal language all it's own.

As I was leaving a benefit for friends, I was given an opportunity to finally 'meet' an incredible lady in person. I approached her, expecting short conversation, but was blown away by the hug we shared. So many things were conveyed through that embrace, and contrary to my concern that I might be hugging her too tightly given recent surgery and chemotherapy, she hugged back tighter.

For reasons I am not fully aware of, this woman's story has gripped my soul. I do not know her personally, only through her friends and her husband, whom I've known for years. It might be that I have had a connection to someone I know immensely well, who has been through the same frightening experience. It might be that her positive spirit in spite of the negative weight that accompanies such a life-altering ordeal is beyond inspiring. In truth, it is likely these reasons and more that have led to the love and admiration I feel for this truly beautiful being.

Hands down, the best part of my day was that hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment