My cheeks are sore at the moment from smiling. Despite a somber occasion, I was able to spend time with some incredible people I hadn't seen in far too long. Amazing, and even more, my two sons were able to be part of it.
As I think back on the last few hours, I can't help but continue to smile, and shed a happy tear or two. While I've stayed in touch with these friends on Facebook, I haven't had an opportunity to really catch up and talk with any of them in years. They all remembered my oldest son as a toddler, but none of them had met my youngest. Over fifteen years, by estimation...that's how long it has been since we all sat around and conversed.
Watching my sons talk to these friends of mine was incredible. While I am fully aware of how grown up they are, this ... seeing my sons with people that were a part of my life before either of them was born, made me realize it all the more. My youngest son rode home from dinner with me and commented that he really liked these friends. Now by no means did I think he was inferring he doesn't like my other friends, I just think he could feel the history and connection, and he felt connected to it.
Aside from my two sons, the other 'best' thing about having met my ex-husband was these friends. I might have known them individually prior to my ex, but during the early years of our marriage I was able to interact with them and get to know them better. I sit here tonight, once again beyond grateful for the people in my life. I am fortunate beyond words; my life continues to astound me.
Whatever afterlife there may be, I have zero doubts that Dan was responsible for this evenings get together. Dan, wherever you may be, thank you for your laughter, sense of humor, and for tonight. You will be missed by so many, and I will always be thankful for having known you. May there be peace around you, always.
No comments:
Post a Comment