Thursday, May 8, 2014

Some People Can Be Beyond Inappropriate

My sons have accused me of being embarrassing a number of times over the years, and the truth is I absolutely have been. Every parent knows, being a good mom or dad means sticking to the parent code, which specifically dictates offspring embarrassment. It's been this way for generations, and to be considered a full-fledged parent, some amount of embarrassment needs to be present, particularly during the teenage years.

Like most things in life, this needs to be done in moderation, as well as responsibly. It's okay to say, poke your child in the side or flick them in the ear, or even tease them about how cute they are (bonus points if this is done in public, in the presence of friends). It is not ok however, to get drunk and stand in the front row of a packed room and bellow your daughter's name repeatedly during her orchestral performance debut.

Tonight my heart broke for a sweet and talented young girl as I watched her up on stage with a group of other youth musicians. I can only imagine the nerve-racking feeling of playing in front of a room full of strangers on a brightly lit stage. The focus it must take to follow sheet music; I'd be distracted in a heartbeat by all the chaos in front of the stage. I imagine the excitement of playing on stage with local musicians must be intense. It is therefore unimaginable to me that such a child should have to be tormented with embarrassment from the audience by her own mother. How horrible and self-centered this woman must be to ruin her daughter's experience with over the top and inexcusable behavior.

In my opinion, a parent who makes a display of themselves is seeking to be the center of attention. How on earth can you love your child and be a good parent if you cannot give your child space and let them shine on their own? I wanted to pull this mother aside and explain that she was putting her daughter in a most uncomfortable situation and robbing her of being able to thoroughly enjoy something she had worked hard for and had most likely been looking forward to for quite some time. Sadly, someone who couldn't keep from overindulging at a youth event (though there was alcohol being served to adults) wouldn't have the faintest idea of what I was saying had I attempted to engage her.

Part of my job as a parent is to push my children's sense of comfort and challenge them to overcome awkward moments. Luckily for them, I have balance and an awareness of their feelings; if they reach a limit, I back off. It saddens me how often I see situations like the one tonight, because as parents we should be lifting our children up and encouraging them to be their best, not tearing them down with humiliation and bad examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment