Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Some Doors Were Meant To Stay Open Just For You To Close Them

Determination and hard work are awesome. Very little in life would get done without either of these, and yet there are times when all the sticktoitivness in the world won't produce the results you intended. Sometimes, knowing when to redirect that effort into other interests, people, or goals is more important than sticking with something or someone that isn't worth the effort in the long run.

Sure there's risk/chance involved each time a person sets their focus for a specific path or goal. The whole 'start what you finish' approach to life is usually good, but I think that particular bit can overshadow whether the gain is beneficial or not. I mean, if I am always first concerned with follow-through, I might often overlook the moments when it became apparent the end-goal was not only the wrong tree, but completely in the wrong orchard

Completion is not the only admirable or acceptable end to well meaning determination and hard work. Being able to assess progress, or recognize a lack thereof, saves a person disappointment and preserves energy and drive that might be needed or more effective if redirected toward another goal. There should be no shame in walking away from a dead end or potentially, undesired outcome.

I have become much better at walking away. What's more is that I've learned to let go of the guilt, disappointment, and frustration that accompany the times in my life that I faced the truth of the situation and made a choice to turn my focus to things that would yield more positive benefits. Work, relationships, and my own personal interests ... I have to ask myself if it isn't panning out, why? Once I can be honest about why, and I can't find a work-around, I give myself permission to opt out. Were I to continue thinking of those attempts at goals or whatnot failures, I'd likely never move forward. Any attempt, if made with all you are, is some type of success. Giving up, walking away without exerting much effort, or when you stop trying at all is when failure occurs.

If I can work through life's detours and continue to make progress, my direction is likely a good one. Few things worthwhile in life, are the result of little effort, but all the effort in the world cannot produce something worthwhile if it just isn't meant to be. Stop, listen, and be honest with yourself - this is how I've made some of my best choices; choices I might have avoided otherwise in pursuit of following through no matter what. 

I've considered something now for a few weeks, but only over the past two days have I really thought about all the aspects honestly. The moment I removed that overbearing sense of 'obligation' because I'd already come as far as I have, I was able to let go of any guilt or failure about walking away. I am no longer where I was personally, professionally, or spiritually when I first decided to walk that road, and I therefore cannot expect to force the original result that I had intended. Instead, I've found all that effort and energy far more beneficial if I focus it elsewhere. I am not responsible for how others will react to this choice, and that is by far the best, most freeing feeling there is. All that matters is I can walk away knowing I didn't fail, I succeeded because I chose to focus on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment