I'm irritated that other people's choices and way of life can upset me at times. I certainly wouldn't appreciate anyone taking my life and decisions personally. So why is it such a knee-jerk reaction for most of us to go there?
I can't say that I will ever avoid this pitfall of being human, but I know I'm getting better at correcting those kind of thoughts when they occur. It takes a whole lot of breathing, counting, and brutal honesty with myself. Nearly every time I get offended by other people, when they've done nothing to me or to affect me directly, it is because there is something about my own life and choices that I know needs to be fixed. Often it is getting upset or irritated in the first place.
Sure, there is a line between ignoring the world around you and being part of the problem, this isn't what I'm talking about. By all means we should work toward helping one another out when we see the need and the person in need is willing to accept it. Unless someone is being wronged, hurt, or neglected it really shouldn't cause me any amount of irritation or distress. What anyone does is there own business, just as what I do is mine. The less time I spend worrying or occupying my thoughts with things that don't concern me, the happier I am. I'm all for being happier any chance I get.
No comments:
Post a Comment