Sunday, May 25, 2014

Lest We Forget

The rain stayed away, contrary to the forecast, and today was stunningly beautiful. While I wish I hadn't cancelled the hike we had planned, it was still a good day. Who doesn't love sunshine, blue skies and grilling?

Certainly, this weekend has become synonymous with food, friends, and laughter, but I can't help delving deeper and remembering it's true meaning. The enormity of how many men and women we have to be grateful for, creates a guaranteed moment of silence when you stop to think about it all. My life could not be as it is today, were it not for those men and women.

When I think about Memorial Day, I am reminded (as we all should be) that men and women I had never met - have never met, have and are making sacrifices I could not imagine making myself. They have given up time with family they will never get back, and some lose more than just that time. The American military, regardless of if we 'agree' with war and conflict or not, do what most of us could never bring ourselves to do.

I pause often throughout the weeks and months, as the years fly by, to make certain I am expressing my gratitude often and doing so by living a life I appreciate for even the simplest of things. Being able to sit outside and take in the blue sky, hearing the ocean and knowing I have the freedom to enjoy it whenever I want, or just knowing I have lived 42 years in relative peace - I have made it a practice to focus on these 'simple' things every day. Most especially on holidays like this.

As always, I am beyond thankful to the men and women who have served, are currently serving, and who have given up time, limb, and life serving our country. May all of those who are away and on foreign soil know they are not serving in vain, and may they all be brought home safely soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment