Thursday, June 30, 2016

I Like It Loud

Sometimes a girl needs a little metal to get shit done.

Staring down deadlines always gets my ass in gear, but when I can't seem to focus quite as strictly as I know I need to, I've got a backup plan. Metal music. First of all, I love it. Growing up in the town I did, the affinity for such loud and intricate music, complete with guttural vocals was high likelihood. A former mill town, the area's younger generation grabbed hold of the angsty, tough as nails music in an effort to break from the cycle of boredom, grim future prospects and obviously, from the plethora of pop tunes cramming nearly every radio station that came in.

It was, and still is, the music of my generation. Getting older has not diminished my penchant for lightning fast guitars, drums, low, deathly growls or ear piercing screams. I actually think I have a bigger appetite for this genre and definitely a broader appreciation for artists I didn't understand the first time around. In addition to this wider range of artist listening, I have come to realize that this music, in particular, lights a fire under my ass.

Far from feeling angry or aggressive, as I've been asked before, I've always liked that I can listen to this style of music for hours on end and remain even tempered. Maybe it's age for some people, but this just isn't a genre that tests my patience or grates my nerves, like say ... rap. No matter how pissed off the music and lyrics are, my mood stays light. I mean, let the artists get the ugly shit out and scream about it, because somehow it's like channeling my negative energy away from me without succumbing to the process. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Thanks to the likes of Slipknot, Killswitch Engage, Trivium, Angel Vivaldi, Atreyu and Mastadon I got through some tedious, yet grueling work on several documents today. Hopefully, my neighbors didn't suffer an assault on their ears, as it is quite challenging to listen to this stuff at low volume. Now to kickback and enjoy a nice, long, holiday weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment