Friday, June 3, 2016

Unexpected Isn't Always Bad.

At the end of the day, I sometimes find myself wondering how things played out so completely different from the way they looked as though they would when I first woke up. It isn't uncommon for plans to change or things to pop up, I mean, no day ever unfolds exactly the way I think it might. The complete departure from any expectation is relatively uncommon, however. Today was one of those days.

Far from complaining, I'm usually focused on understanding what happened to cause such a shift in things. Not that I manage to figure much of anything out, but I can never put the day to rest without at least trying ;)

It's when I don't get to tackle the things I need or want to that it becomes tough to avoid frustration. There is usually a good reason that delays occur, though in the moment those reasons often go unrealized. I suppose that's one of the many purposes of reflection. And I spend quite a bit of my time doing just that.

Whether it was planned or not, there is something to be gained in nearly everything we do from the time we wake, until we call it quits for the night. What we gain may not be clear right away, but it's often working behind the scenes to steer us in the direction we need to move. We might not understand it, but that's the beauty in it —we don't have to. As long as we don't allow ourselves to become lost in the hows and the whys, the progress we make when life takes the lead can make a real difference.

The day may have marched to its own beat without input from me, but I'm okay with sitting back with a glass of wine and reflecting on the things I did as a result of the unexpected path. I might actually learn enough to ditch those frustrating feelings when nothing goes the way I want in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment