Saturday, June 25, 2016

It's Never Too Late To Make Amends

Never underestimate the power that owning your faults and making amends holds. No matter how much time has passed, say what you need to say to whomever you've wanted to say it. There is no guarantee they will accept your offering, but if by chance they do, it is likely neither of your lives will ever be the same — in the best of ways.

I recently witnessed an old friend seize the opportunity to apologize and extend the olive branch that heals with another long time friend of mine. At first, I felt like an intruder given the context of the conversation. Having been aware of the rift that had existed years ago, I was moved to tears as I stood watching this amazing thing take place. In a hundred years I would never have imagined this day would happen, let alone think I'd get a front row seat to it.

It was the first time in quite some time that the best possible part of my day had nothing to do with me at all. I was on the fringe of the situation years ago, as it affected me because two of my friends were no longer speaking to one another. There were so many factors, not the least of which was the utter lack of communication that is indicative of being a teenager. We all went about our lives, but I never forgot the sadness of it, and after the other morning, it is clear none of us had.

Wonderful things happen and doors to healing open when we least expect it. Whether it involves us directly or we are onlookers, the meaning, and effect of such an event should never be overlooked. When a person steps outside of their ego and owns their actions without looking for reasons to explain them away, the genuine light of their apology is a blessing that can't help but hit us in the core of our being.

I walked away from that moment with a renewed belief that people do change and they are capable of acknowledging the not-so-pleasant parts of their lives to make amends. I have so much respect and admiration for these two people and how they embraced each other's words. There aren't enough words to express the surge of love and positive energy that moment graced my life with. Days later I am still smiling and I likely will continue to for some time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment