I have strange dreams somewhat frequently. Either bizarre circumstance or surroundings, or people I've lost touch with popping up unexpectedly. The ones that really get to me though, are the ones that have people I have intentionally cut from my life in starring roles. Those are the kind that stay with me for the better part of the next day.
The most recent of these featured a former friend and my ex-husband; neither of whom I want making cameos in my slumber, let alone be the main focus. It's not as though I put much stock in dreams and what they mean, but sometimes the effect is strong enough that I do stop to consider what may be going on in life. Often times, there are stressors or big changes happening that I am in the midst of and I haven't thought about how any of it impacts who I am. So while I don't usually delve into the overall meaning of a dream, occasionally I do pay attention to factors of life that may contribute to them.
The older I get, the less I recall my dreams. This is kind of a bummer, since I always had vivid dreams. I could recall dreams from weeks prior, but these days they all just blur together — if I remember anything at all. Maybe this is the result of being far more immersed in my waking life than ever before. I'm inclined to believe that is the case, as my days are filled with far more stimulus than any vivid dream could ever hope to compete with. In a sense, I'm living the dream of balance and happiness, so my sleeping mind truly lacks for nothing.
At least that is what occurs to me upon pondering the relative lack of dream recollection. My life is full. I am happy. The past couple of years have been spent giving energy to creating happiness and balance, so my subconscious has little wishing to do and its fictional fantasies no longer grab my attention. I'll take real life over dreaming every single time.
No comments:
Post a Comment