I love whiskey. Well, good whiskey, to be more specific. Of course, I'd love to drink the best of the best all the time, but I'm good with Jameson, Bulleit, Maker's and Powers. Hell, even Bushmills and Buffalo Trace will do. And before you get all high and mighty, I'm aware of the difference between whiskey, scotch and bourbon. I don't discriminate, I love them all.
This affinity is something of a new thing for me, so my experience is admittedly limited. I've been working on expanding my palette, so to speak, and I've begun making mental notes of those I'd like to sample in the coming months. Elimination diet be damned, this girl will give up all the foods she loves to find out what I should no longer eat, but nothing gets in the way of me and my whiskey.
The least experience I have is with scotch, though I've been perusing the cybersphere and schooling myself on the labels I think I might like. Johnny Walker Blue was my first and I dare say I'd enjoy exploring the more reasonably priced offerings from this distillery, but I wouldn't say no to their King George V. Ardbeg has a few varieties that pique my interest (though the bottle alone would be enough for me to throw one back). And Glenfiddich? Yes, please.
Irish whiskey is something I've not delved too far into. Beyond Jameson (which I adore), Knappogue Castle (14 and older), Powers and Bushmills, I haven't ventured far. A few that I am most interested in imbibing, be they single malt or blended are Connemara (any and all), Redbreast, Midleton, and Kilbeggan (preferably the 18-year old). Without a doubt, I lean toward the Irish, despite having a genuine like for scotch and bourbon.
As for bourbon, I believe I have managed to accrue the most experience in this type of whiskey. It might have been my days pimping spirits as a promo gal, that started me on the road to whiskey - though Jim Beam, Wild Turkey and Jack D might as well be two-buck chuck for all I care now. Ok, ok, I know those labels offer more expensive and palatable varieties, and I'm willing to give them a go.When the options are Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, and Maker's, I'm far more interested in treating my taste buds to a drink. I have to admit that I'm quite intrigued by Elijah Craig (23-yr old please).
Along the path of taste acquisition, having a true appreciation for whether my favorite amber substance is pot stilled, blended, single malt, grain or unaged is a goal. This is a brave undertaking, of that I'm completely aware, but I truly feel it is one of the absolute experiences I must have in life. Yes, I am most certainly up for the challenge of refining my taste in the adult beverage genre of whiskey. I think I might just have a tasting partner who also enjoys drinking this golden nectar neat. Life is amazingly good when you share the love of whiskey with someone who is equally enthralled by its vibrantly delicious warmth.
I raise the last of this night's neat Bulleit to my fellow whiskey aficiandos.
No comments:
Post a Comment