Sunday, June 26, 2016

You Never Know Who Is Watching

I'd say that most of the time I'm only moderately aware that people are tuned into my presence. It isn't as though I'm that self-absorbed, it's more that I don't see much of what I do as something many people would be interested in enough to pay attention. Obviously, the exceptions are social media and direct interaction with people.

Yesterday I was having drinks on the deck of a local summer hot spot with the man I'm dating. We were enjoying the weather, the atmosphere, and the conversation. As people milled about, walking by on their way to the bar or back to their seats with their food, a man made a beeline for our table. I assumed, as we have not been dating long enough to know many of each other's friends, that this guy must know Mr. Blue Eyes. The look on his face said otherwise as the man went to shake his hand, offering congratulations. We exchanged looks of confusion and the man explained that he and his wife had been watching the two of us for quite some time. My initial thought was 'what on earth for?'

It turns out that this couple essentially thought we looked beautiful together. Despite the fact that it's nearly automatic to lose track of time and who is around us when we are involved in a conversation, it appears that people around us are quite aware of the energy we must be generating as we interact with one another. A perfect reminder that people do pay attention, even if our own focus is fixed elsewhere.

Even though the sudden confession from a complete stranger that he had been watching us talk was odd and slightly off-putting at first, it was nice to know that from the outside, the genuine connection Mr. Blue Eyes and I share is plainly evident to anyone who happens to see us. I rather enjoy knowing that our comfort and contentedness with each other is recognizable by more than just us. Yeah, I am on the road to outright smitten and I don't care who knows :)

No comments:

Post a Comment