Monday, June 27, 2016

It's Work But It's Worth It

I've become fairly adept at making everything I eat from scratch. It isn't that I didn't do it before starting this elimination diet, I just didn't get this involved. Much as I might have groaned about all the work that's required, the fact that I'm feeling better makes it worth the time and energy spent doing it.

As my diet slowly expands to include more and more foods, I find I manage the cravings for foods I can't currently eat better. There's also a kind of satisfaction in knowing exactly what I'm putting into my body. No sugars, preservatives or questionable ingredients, just food that's 100% what it's suppose to be. Hard not to feel good about eating that way.

Even though this way of eating is highly restrictive, there are ways to make it feel less so. I've gotten creative with cooking and pairing foods, and most of the time I'm happy with the outcome. Prior to this diet I wouldn't have considered making ice cream from bananas or avocados, or attempted to make Greek yogurt. I've always loved avocados and appreciated their versatility, but I'm finding even more ways to incorporate them into my meals.

Eating predominantly protein and fat is tough to stick to. Being able to get creative means trying new things, like making my own nut butters, nut milks and yogurt. The more I can do to keep myself from eating things that aren't on the plan, the better I feel, and that's really what the purpose of doing any of this is. To feel better from the inside out. If that means I have to make my own yogurt and nut butters, than I'll gladly sacrifice the extra time to get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment