Too tired for words. Cooked, worked, worked out, did hair and ran around - in general it was almost a typical day. Almost. The exception is that the 'cooking' is far more labor intensive than it used to be thanks to this elimination/healing diet. The upside? Everything I make is organic and preservative free. Today I made almond butter, as well as almond milk, applesauce, butternut squash and spinach. To be fair, half of the first batch of apples didn't make it to the food processor as they spilled (quite unceremoniously) into the kitchen sink. Suzy Homemaker fail.
Truth be told, this way of eating has made me feel better, but I am bored to tears with the food options. I've managed to stick to it, despite the desire to just eat whatever I want, which happens to strike often. Having two boys in the house that eat virtually anything means there are tests awaiting me in every part of the fridge, freezer and pantry. Three weeks in and I've managed to pass those tests with flying colors — let's just hope that continues, because man oh man do I want a freaking cupcake or mess of chocolate bad.
The good news is that I now have a wider array of food choices than I did even a week ago, as I have not reacted adversely to anything so far. Not that I expected to. I have a relatively good idea of the foods that were causing me issues, but the exercise of going through the painstaking process of slow reintroduction, one food at a time means that I won't miss something. I suppose for now I will take these little wins and be happy. Hungry, perhaps, but happy nonetheless.
So, healing from the inside out while trying each new food has tested my patience (and occasionally made me question my sanity). I love to dine out and new, exciting foods are always on my agenda. That is, until I chose to get to the root of my digestive woes. Instead of lamenting night and day (something I am more than capable of, I assure you) about being hungry or wanting more exciting foods, I am embracing the opportunity to reset my system and learn more about food and cooking than I previously knew. I'm also realizing that it's been laziness alone that has kept me from making more things from scratch than I once did.
There is most certainly a high level of sacrifice in this way of eating, but so far it's been worth the frustration and longing. I may never be able to eat whatever I want, but I believe I will end up with the knowledge of what foods I should avoid. This makes for a happier, healthier experience with sustenance, and after years of letting unpleasant episodes get in the way of life, I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. Food and I are getting a do-over and I intend to make the most of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment