I'm not going to lie; I'm having a tough time writing tonight...what with the Earth, Wind & Fire going on about September up in here. Sitting still to type and grooving like a total white chick in my Boston Red Sox comfies is a pretty big challenge. Especially when the youngin' is getting down with his equally white self along with me.
Pandora likes to test my music knowledge I think...I mean, why else would it play 'Everybody Wants To Rule The World" on 70s Scenic? Um, hello? Tears For Fears is Totally 80s (totally FOREVER), which I love, too, but don't mess with decade grouped music! Beyond messes with my mindset, I don't like switching gears like that. Especially when the very next song is from 1965. When I pick 70s, I want only the 70s. I mean, is that so much to ask?
I grew up in the 70s — ergo, I tend to love listening to the music (soft rock, classic rock, disco, and folk alike). It is no surprise that I still know the lyrics to songs I may not have heard in a decade or more. Nor is it strange that this music can put me in the best of moods. What is somewhat surprising to me is that I am willingly (albeit playfully) relating to the lyrics.
My dating life, as of late has me smiling most of the time. What started out as goofing with the whole 70s genre has actually kind of struck a chord with me. Now, I'm not talking world rocking, just that for the first time in forever I'm relaxed, enjoying someone's company completely, and finding that I relate to the freaking cheesy-ass lyrics the sound of the seventies owned in the most thorough of ways. Me. The girl who doesn't ever relate to even the slightest of romantic songs. Like ever. Go ahead and shake your head, I have several times.
My 'romantic' life isn't something I discuss much and that isn't likely to change. I don't ever feel the need to divulge specifics because frankly, I prefer to keep some things in life to myself. I did find that having realized that I'm on a 70s kick recently and making the correlation to my upbeat, happy mood and spending time with a particularly awesome someone, it warranted writing about. However briefly. Far from having preset expectations, the overall feeling for me is comfortable, slightly blissful and amazingly balanced. There are no irritations, no red flags, and the guy likes all kinds of music; even 70s! Being in a relationship, however new and undefined, that has no pretenses — well, let's just say I'm good with exploring every possible part of that if it happens to present itself. Being with someone with whom you have lots of common interests, thoughts and ideas is so totally underrated.
I'm going to finish my glass of Cabernet to America, surf the 'net a bit and revel in the happy that the day has graced me with. I'll likely text that blue-eyed, smiling Irish man until turning in for the night, and smile about it the entire time. I might even postulate the meaning of riding a horse with no name, through a desert and being happy no rain is falling for more than nine days. One thing I can say is that the 70s definitely gave us lyrics to reflect upon. No matter how confusing they might be.
No comments:
Post a Comment