Having had the privilege of raising my sons alone, there are moments when I stand back and wonder how in the world we've made it as far as we have. Not that I doubt my children's or my own abilities to survive and thrive. It's just that with so much unpredictability ready to thwart our efforts at a moment's notice, I'm always slightly amazed that we always seem to 'trooper on' and experience real progress in spite of it all.
Certainly, each of us has had to make alterations in our own personal plans, but we manage to make it all work. Sometimes it looks as though it's going to be a messy situation, and truth be told, there have been occasional arguments, as well as miffed attitudes toward one another. Still, I believe that all three of us have little doubt that we will always be there when one of us needs something. If nothing else, this tells me I haven't strayed too far from the right path while raising them.
Life and the Universe are seemingly always ready with a challenge; particularly when it is the least convenient. Each of us may vent or become frustrated for a bit by the circumstances we find ourselves in, but there is never a time when we think we are truly alone in dealing with them. It doesn't matter what it is, there is always a way to make it work so that we can at least muddle through to the other side.
These are things that I am fully appreciating now that the boys are grown. To see them take action without prompting, own their shortcomings and push to be better — especially when someone else is dependent on them, well, that's a parenting win. I feel confident that no matter what, each of these boys will reach out to each other and to me should they ever need anything. We've built a family unit that thrives because we are there, we love deeply and we know that the only way to enjoy the good times is to have people with you. Those good times aren't nearly as sweet without having been through the bad shit together.
I haven't always made the best choices as a parent and knowing that my sons bore some of the fallout has made me even more dedicated to including them in decisions. They are part of the process and because of that, they have helped me see things from views I might otherwise have missed. I may still be the parental figure, but they are adults that have figured out how to be part of something for the good, bad and indifferent. They take it all because they know anything worthwhile isn't without a challenge.
We've been challenged a bit as of late, but we stick together and find solutions to problems, other directions when there is a roadblock, and encourage one another when a pat on the back or boost of goodwill can make all the difference. I love that this whole 'mom' gig isn't a flat, repetitive experience, and instead, the most intricate and fascinating adventure I could have ever asked for. Yeah, this mom thing really looks good on me ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment