Sunday, June 5, 2016

Getting Sidelined Is Never Easy

Normally, I don't enjoy waiting on my children. I like that they are independent and capable. When they aren't able to do things for themselves, however, there is usually a good reason.

My overly enthusiastic youngest participated in a 4-day retreat with Maine Youth Leadership for the second time; this year as a junior counselor. I am in absolute support of him doing things that are volunteer-based, are a great addition to his transcripts for college and provide invaluable exercises and knowledge with real world application. Because of this, I don't mind helping him pack and transporting him (even if it involves a number of trips back and forth throughout the weekend because of prior commitments). He's actually pretty good at making sure he has everything he needs. He let his exuberance get the better of him and rolled his ankle pretty good while jumping around the other night. Now he's the household gimp; meaning my ass isn't likely to see the couch over the next few days ... unless he's sleeping.

Of course, I understand how frustrating it is to be dependent on others. After foot surgery last fall, I was at my wit's end two days into my heal time. The quickest and most effective reminder to appreciate one's mobility and independence is to have it taken away, albeit temporarily. This active teen is exhausted from the events of the past four days, and I'm rather happy he has dozed off next to me on the couch (yes, partly because I finally get to sit). I know that tomorrow he'll be irritable when he is rested and finds he's still pretty reliant on others to do things for him.

Despite the fact that it sounds great to have others cater to your needs, in reality, when you are independent and prideful of your ability to do for yourself, suddenly not being able to do some of the simplest things without help is a pisser. Especially if you're particular about how things are done. In this house, we are all particular, and that can be tricky under normal circumstances. Luckily, we favor forward movement, so getting caught up in the irritabilities or tripped up by the hurdles doesn't slow us down much. It doesn't hurt that I remember clearly exactly how it felt to be  limited by injury. Extending my efforts to keep him in a state that will let him heal more quickly really isn't a tough thing to do. Well, that and because he's my baby and always will be. I just can't pick him up and carry him to bed these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment